Username:

Password:

Remember Me On This Computer

Create An Account!

Poker Forums: :Events Calendar: :Poker Glossary: :Live Poker Chat: :

Click on the player below to listen to the latest show. If you would like to have this weekly radio broadcast posted on your website contact me at [email protected] for the code.

Your DrCheckRaise Staff

Your Administrators

DrCheckRaise

Axman

oklajohnny45

Monmiss

Your Moderators

Monmiss - Poker Clinic

Monmiss - FaceBook Member Page

Re: Fold Equity (Copied wth permission from member Nerice)

Fold Equity (Copied wth permission from member Nerice)
avatar Subject :  Fold Equity (Copied wth permission from member Nerice)
Date:       January 11, 2009 02:42AM
At my current understanding of the game, it means 2 things to me;

If I am going to want to or have to put them all in anyway, do it while it means something.

or

It is better to save enough of my chips for a threatning raise than to call of blind by blind until I am little more than an annoyance in a coin flip or a dry pot lottery.

Also consider: I have a better chance of winning a hand by isolating with as few opponents as possible, than waiting until I am the big blind all in being checked down by my table

Thats the layman version, but for a deeper explanation our member and post author Nerice had this to say.......

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2009 05:13AM by jontm.
Re: Fold Equity (Copied wth permission from member Nerice)
avatar Subject :  Re: Fold Equity (Copied wth permission from member Nerice)
Date:       January 11, 2009 02:47AM
Fold equity.

You cannot let your stack get to the point it is not a threat to others stack because then you will need valid hands to shove (rather than shoving on tight players blinds with ATC to keep your stack size up), as they can afford to call trying to suckout even if they dont have a hand, and if they double you they are still ok. You want to make it clear that your not only putting your game on the line, but your putting theirs on the line if they call you, even if their stack is a bit bigger, if they lose, they will be crippled. Stacks that your stack is about the same is also good to shove on due to that reason if they are not a totally loose donk since they need a much better hand to risk their game on (the old takes a better hand to call a shove than to shove is in full effect). Use your stack as a weapon.

I cannot stress fold equity enough and it sounds like this is what might be causing you problems... even if it means shoving any two cards when you need to, to keep your stack size comparable to most of the others on the table, irregardless if you think you will get called or not you must shove to get the blinds and maintain your stack compared to most others at the table. Many times I know I am shoving the first chance I can if I am the first one in the pot. Sometimes I know I am shoving within the next 3/4 hands if I can be the first one shoving because in 3/4 hands I will be UTG, and if I am UTG+1 needing to shove and do not get a chance, I know before I fold that hand, I am shoving the next one. I have not seen my cards yet, but I know I am shoving the next hand, the cards do not matter, my stack size does. I know I need to keep my stack a threat to the others, if I fold down my stack, and am not a threat, pushing AA is likely to get multiple callers anyway and the chance of being sucked out on goes up with every caller so busting with a threatening stack with trash is the same as busting with AA when my stack is no longer a threat, I am out of the game either way. Just about any time I am in the bottom 33% of the chip stacks I start looking for spots to take a little more risks, up to the point of shoving ATC UTG if I have to, shoving 3-4 times in a row if I need to. Also if your behind and suckout, you now have a very good stack and quite possibly the big stack at the table, as well as the threat you will put your game on the line with weak holdings, (since you just got caught with trash and are tightening back up for a bit remember? you shove a good hand shortly after, your likely to get a call for more chips too) but your no longer really putting your game on the line, since your stack will usually cover most of the others now and leave you some room to work with if you do double them (back to square one lol). You really wont put your game on the line with weak holdings like that unless you need to to keep your stack size up, but thats the impression most will get and it will scare some of them that you will suckout on them, the good players will realize, but most players are not good. (That is not an opinion, its a fact that most online players lose money, good players don't lose money...)

Do not be, and you cannot be scared of busting. The times you bust earlier, will be made up for when you double through and go extremely deep, preferably to first place. I would rather have one win, than 10 minimum/half payout point useless cashes, as I will win more overall...
Reply Quote Report
Delete Delete + Replies Split Here Hide + Replies Edit
Re: From Prince to Pauper
Nerice [ PM ]
Subject: Re: From Prince to Pauper
Date: January 10, 2009 07:13PM IP/Host: adsl-68-95-132-154.dsl.rcsntx.swbell.net

Here is an example of a situation I was talking about, all the ones left to act behind me are pretty tight players, there is only one that can even consider calling here without a premium hand, the person to my left, and I know he is not calling unless he has one as well since its not his blinds. Shorty cannot risk his game even though he is giving up his SB (he should shove the next hand....), and the BB cannot risk swapping stacks with me by calling light either but can afford to let his BB go. While my hand is not total trash, it is still junk, but it really didn't matter what I had knowing what I posted above about them I can shove any two here. I had 16k chips, gained 9.2k chips to increase my stack by ~66% of what I had, virtually risk free. You cant pass spots like this up on the off chance you might run into hand, risk vs reward is too great.

Seat 2: Fish LIU #75 (66503 in chips)
Seat 3: mccloud419 (16849 in chips)
Seat 4: shaba75 (10960 in chips)
Seat 5: DUCATIDAVE (22111 in chips)
Seat 6: Nerice (15688 in chips)
Seat 7: hjk2470 (59071 in chips)
Seat 8: LIG4TRD (13099 in chips)
Seat 9: canman0815 (36937 in chips)
Fish LIU #75: posts the ante 400
mccloud419: posts the ante 400
shaba75: posts the ante 400
DUCATIDAVE: posts the ante 400
Nerice: posts the ante 400
hjk2470: posts the ante 400
LIG4TRD: posts the ante 400
canman0815: posts the ante 400
LIG4TRD: posts small blind 2000
canman0815: posts big blind 4000
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Nerice [5s Qd]
Fish LIU #75: folds
mccloud419: folds
shaba75: folds
DUCATIDAVE: folds
Nerice: raises 11288 to 15288 and is all-in
hjk2470: folds
LIG4TRD: folds
canman0815: folds
Uncalled bet (11288) returned to Nerice
Nerice collected 13200 from pot
Nerice: doesn't show hand
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 13200 | Rake 0
Seat 2: Fish LIU #75 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 3: mccloud419 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 4: shaba75 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 5: DUCATIDAVE folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 6: Nerice collected (13200)
Seat 7: hjk2470 (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 8: LIG4TRD (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 9: canman0815 (big blind) folded before Flop

Online Users

Guests: 20
Record Number of Users: 5 on November 28, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 265 on November 12, 2013
Poker Forums | Poker Glossary | Top Users | Terms of Service
Copyright © 2014 DrCheckRaise.com

Created by Design Magic and powered by Phorum.