Username:

Password:

Remember Me On This Computer

Create An Account!

Poker Forums: :Events Calendar: :Poker Glossary: :Live Poker Chat: :

Click on the player below to listen to the latest show. If you would like to have this weekly radio broadcast posted on your website contact me at [email protected] for the code.

Your DrCheckRaise Staff

Your Administrators

DrCheckRaise

Axman

oklajohnny45

Monmiss

Your Moderators

Monmiss - Poker Clinic

Monmiss - FaceBook Member Page

Tragedy Strikes DCR Member

Tragedy Strikes DCR Member
avatar Subject :  Tragedy Strikes DCR Member
Date:       July 21, 2010 03:15AM
I am saddened to inform you that longtime member Gunsmoke has suffered what must be the worst tragedy that a father can suffer. I have been informed that his son was injured in a rodeo accident that resulted in his death. I am still on the road so details are sketchy, but I am sure that some of our members can find the details by searching the web.

Marty (Gunsmoke) was so hospitable to Poker Joe and I when we passed through New Mexico, opening his home to us and taking us to poker rooms in the area. We are saddened, and I cannot imagine what he is going through at this time.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you Marty.

I can only find his hospitalization on web news but a third party has informed me of his death.... Normally I would try to get confirmation before posting, but this is all I have at the moment.

[m.santafenewmexican.com]-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2010 09:02AM by Axman.
Re: Tragedy Strikes DCR Member
avatar Subject :  Re: Tragedy Strikes DCR Member
Date:       July 21, 2010 06:22AM
wow, i'm sorry to hear that gun... i know anything i say can make you feel any better.. But, just know that there are people here on DCR and BTF that are there for you.... keep your head up and hope to talk to you soon... Take care bud... D1 (Duane)
Date:       July 21, 2010 07:04AM
Doc
Thank you for your kind words.
My son Kenny McOsker was ridding in an event at Galestio,NM when he suffered his life ending event.
From what I can piece together, he had completed his ride and was set down by the pick up rider.As the horse went by it kicked out striking Kenny in the cheek and eye.The blow was hard enough to knock him unconscious and cause his heart to stop.He was administered to by what I believe were inexperienced EMT's He was transferred to an ambulance approx 20 min later for the 40 min ride to Santa Fe hospital. Moving on, at about 10am last night they removed him from life support, where they tested him for brain function, none were present he was declared brain dead at that time,cause, lack of oxygen, not the trauma to the head.His organs were harvested this evening, except for his heart which was damaged due to lack of oxygen.5 recipients will have a chance of life resulting from this tragedy. All that I ask is that we all pray for his wife who is 3mo pregnant his 6 year old and 17mo old sons and a 14 year old step daughter.Kenny is 34 years old.His ashes will be spread amongst the rodeo grounds of NM,TX,AZ and CO, his epitaph will read "BETTER TO SPEND 8 SEC IN THE ARENA, THAN A LIFE TIME IN THE STANDS " Chris Ledoux
Thank you
Gunsmoke

Money don't mean shit to a gambler,its just a way of keeping score
Date:       July 21, 2010 07:39AM
I spoke with Marty this evening and passed along our condolences. He said he can take some small comfort in knowing that Kenny was doing what he loved at the time of his death. Not many can say that.
Date:       July 21, 2010 07:42AM
This is heartbreaking. I am very sorry for your loss gunsmoke. I hope we here at DCR will have a chance to help out in some way...
Date:       July 21, 2010 03:53PM
Our thoughts and prayers are with you Smoke.I'm willing to do something to help his family.Hopefully we as a group(DCR) can help in some way. Heatman05
Date:       July 28, 2010 04:52AM
I am so so sorry to hear about your son. I, too, lost mine when she was 18 years. There isn't any greater loss than losing a child. Were the EMT's hired by the rodeo, or a local ambulence service? If the it was the rodeo, you might want to look into a law suit? My heart goes out to you! One day at a time. Lana
Date:       July 21, 2010 08:59AM
Very tragic and very sad. My condolences to you and your family.
Date:       July 21, 2010 01:18PM
Am so sorry! I will say a prayer his wife and children.

NIC NAME ON Face Up Gaming - TheMiracle
Date:       July 21, 2010 03:22PM
truly sorry for your loss..me and my family will have your family in our prayers..
Date:       July 21, 2010 05:24PM
Oh my, truly sad news. My heartfelt sympathy to all his family and friends. I too would participate in a fund raising tournament of some kind to help this young family. I will keep you and yours in my prayers Gunsmoke...
Stardust
Date:       July 22, 2010 07:26AM
my son whom Im ever so proud of died tuesday evening after a tragic accident at a rodeo in Galesito NM. The really sad part that the news paper fails to mention is that they had what appeared to be inexperienced EMTs. The neurosurgeons told me that if he had been administered oxygen at the rodeo grounds his injures though sever were not life threatening.It appears that he went 20 mins with out a heart beat or oxygen.my daughter in laws face book page is Tay McOsker

C & P from the Santa Fe New Mexican

Kenny McOsker, a bronc rider from Edgewood, died doing what he loved.

"How many people can say that?" his father, Martin McOsker of Albuquerque, said Wednesday.

Kenny McOsker, 34, suffered a traumatic brain injury after he was kicked in the head by his bronc after completing a ride Sunday afternoon during the Galisteo Rodeo.

McOsker was transported to Christus St. Vincent Regional Medical Center, where he died late Tuesday night.

Besides his parents and grandparents, McOsker is survived by his wife, Tay, who is expecting their fourth child; 14-year-old daughter Bailey; 6-year-old son Kole; and 17-month old son Zeb.

McOsker was an only child who grew up in Albuquerque and graduated from Sandia High School. He graduated from The University of New Mexico with a degree in construction engineering and was working for a civil engineering firm in Corrales.

His father said McOsker fell in love with rodeo when he was a sophomore in college. Friends introduced him to bronc riding. "He got hooked," Martin McOsker said.

Kenny McOsker was a member of the New Mexico Rodeo Association and traveled the rodeo circuit around the West.

McOsker was an organ donor, his father said. "His organs were distributed to three people in New Mexico, one in Arizona and one in Minnesota," Martin McOsker said.

The family tentatively plans to hold services for Kenny McOsker in Moriarty on Aug. 7.

Kevin Cox, his best friend, will take some of his ashes and scatter them at rodeo grounds around the West.

His epitaph will read, "Better 8 seconds in the arena than a lifetime in the stands." His father said, "It's a quote from (singer) Chris LeDoux, who was kind of Kenny's hero."

A memorial fund in Kenny McCosker's name has been established at Wells Fargo Bank to benefit his family.

[www.santafenewmexican.com]

Date:       July 23, 2010 05:26AM
I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. But, like you said, it was good that he went out doing something he loves! Now that's how I wanna go out! I guess it was just his time. May he rest in peace in heaven!! Take care of yourself & the rest of your family. They need you!
Date:       July 23, 2010 08:51AM
So sorry for your loss, and so glad that others will live due to his organ donations. Sure you will teach his kids how this made him a hero to other families. I heard this on the news 770 am out of Alb. doing some late night desert driving in Nevada, but didn't know till tonite it was connected to one of our own. The thoughts of many turned to him (770 is a really powerful station) and in that way he has touched all our lives. I had a stepson die at the same age, and while you never get over it, and the "what ifs", the pain does get better with time. Peace to you and his young family.
Date:       July 24, 2010 05:05PM
Saturday, July 24, 2010

Rider Grabbed Life by the Reins

By Rory McClannahan
Copyright © 2010 Albuquerque Journal Mountain View Telegraph
Edgewood's Kenny McOsker was not one to hide from the dangers of life. And, in the end, it was one of those dangers that killed him.
The 34-year-old McOsker was at the Galisteo Rodeo on Sunday when, upon finishing his winning bronc ride, he was kicked in the head by his horse.
The horse's hoof caught him in the face, crushing his left cheek and making it difficult for paramedics to give him oxygen. He was rushed to Christus St. Vincent Regional Medical Center in Santa Fe, where his family made the difficult decision Tuesday to unhook the machines keeping him alive.
McOsker died soon afterward.
"He certainly always lived life to the fullest," said his father, Martin McOsker.
Kenny McOsker was a construction engineer for a firm in Corrales, but his weekends were spent on a horse. He was part of the close-knit fraternity of amateur rodeoers who travel each weekend to events all over the state.
He shared his passion with his family: His 14-year-old daughter Bailey and 6-year-old son Kole also compete. His other son, Zeb, is 17 months and a little young for the cowboy life. His wife, Tay, is expecting their fourth child.
Kenny McOsker was an organ donor and his father said his organs went to three people in New Mexico, one in Arizona and another in Minnesota.
Hooked on riding
Rodeo had not always been a passion for Kenny McOsker. Growing up, the 1995 graduate of Sandia High School had been more into football and baseball.
But Martin McOsker said that, while was his son was attending the University of New Mexico, Kenny was invited by a friend to a rodeo training school in Peralta to try a ride on a mechanical bull, which was soon replaced by a live animal.
"Once he got on that first one, that was the only thing he could think of until the next weekend when he could get on again," McOsker said.
And from then on, Kenny McOsker was hooked. Doing rodeo, especially riding roughstock — the event in which a bull or a horse does its best to buck off the rider — became something he did most every weekend from spring until fall.
It's the family atmosphere of amateur rodeos that attracts many of its participants. Each weekend, there is at least one event going on somewhere in the state of New Mexico, and many times — such as over the Fourth of July weekend — every small town seemingly has an event.
And each weekend, friends from the young to the old meet up to celebrate "the cowboy way."
"It's good family fun," said Jeff Herndon, president of the Estancia Valley Rodeo Association. "You make friends at these events, and those friendships can last a lifetime."
The sport creates a bond that lasts through the stages of life. Several weeks ago, professional bull rider Travis Briscoe, one of the top professional riders in the world, showed up at a bull-riding event in Estancia, offering a hand and a little advice to some of the younger riders. Briscoe grew up in the Estancia Valley and cut his rodeo teeth as a youth in New Mexico events.
"The bonds are very close," Herndon said. "It's a close-knit community."
'They have to do it'
Ask any cowboy, and he will tell you that rodeo is a dangerous sport. Martin McOsker said that his son had suffered numerous injuries, from a dislocated hip and shoulder to a broken leg.
"Every time they get on an animal, it seems they get hurt," McOsker said.
But most participants will tell you that injury is part of the sport.
"Rodeoing is dangerous. Riding a horse in a pasture is dangerous. It can fall and roll over on you," said Red Kingston, president of Mountainair Gymkhana Rodeo, and past president of the New Mexico Junior Rodeo Association. "But it's dangerous for me to drive into Albuquerque. It's dangerous taking a shower — you could slip and hit your head."
Martin McOsker said his son knew about the dangers of rodeo. On the day before his accident, McOsker said Kenny had a slight mishap and had considered not riding Sunday. But, at the last minute, he decided to go ahead and ride.
"I think it has a pull stronger than drugs on these guys," McOsker said. "They have to do it."
On Sunday, Kole was watching his father from the chute as he headed into his final ride.
"He saw the whole thing," Martin McOsker said. "He told my wife the other day, 'My Daddy's with the angels.' I'm not sure he understands everything, but his whole family will be there for him."
Martin McOsker has no angry words for the sport that took his son's life. As a matter of fact, he said he has been moved by the support his son's family is receiving from the rodeo community.
He said he knows that Kenny was someone who lived life and preferred to confront its dangers instead of hiding.
For Kenny's epitaph, the elder McOsker has chosen a line from a Chris LeDoux song:
"Better eight seconds in the arena than a lifetime in the stands."
Mountain View Telegraph Staff Writer Harold Smith contributed to this story.
Roping fundraiser
A benefit roping event is slated for today at the Belen Rodeo Grounds for the family of Kenny McOsker.
McOsker died Tuesday after an accident Sunday at a rodeo in Galisteo. He and his family had lived in Los Chavez for years before moving to the Edgewood area about six months ago. McOsker was married and had three children with a fourth on the way.
The roping event will start at 5 p.m.
Donations can also be made at any Wells Fargo Bank.
Kenny McOsker's funeral is scheduled for Aug. 7 at 10 a.m. at the Moriarty Civic Center in Moriarty.

Read more: ABQJOURNAL NEWS/STATE: Rider Grabbed Life by the Reins [www.abqjournal.com]
Subscribe Now Albuquerque Journal
I have several pic on face if you would like to look although I haven't quit figured it out yet martin mcosker

Date:       July 24, 2010 11:44PM
I am truly sorry to hear about what has happen. My prayers go go to all involved

HICNUT
Date:       July 25, 2010 06:31PM
Marty this mike bud i am so sorry to hear this news if there is anything i can do sir just call me when you want i will wait a few days to give you the time to take care of your family at this time.... then i will get in touch with you dont really know what to say to a friend i know so well at a time like this my prayers ar youre with you and your family right now marty your friend mike (DEALTAKER)
Date:       July 26, 2010 06:33PM
Gunsmoke, words cannot express my condolences. I'll leave it at that... well and that you and yours are in my prayers.

HE'S BACK! The new and improved... BallsASteel!!!!

I play my online poker at [www.grrrinders.com]!
Date:       July 26, 2010 07:28PM
Our prayers are with you and his family.
Date:       October 11, 2010 07:04AM
My son continues to make us proud even after his death. On Sept 24 he was honored at the New Mexico State Fair PRCA rodeo. This past weekend he was honored again at his home town of Moriarty N.M, His children were grand marshals of home coming parade, and today he was inducted into Heritage rodeo Arena wall of Fame. His name made out of rod iron will be placed on fence at the rodeo grounds.

Date:       October 16, 2010 12:26AM
How are the kids Smoke?
Date:       October 17, 2010 08:22PM
Thanks for asking Doc.
The 6 year old is beginning to ask me a lot about his dad, I usually see him at least once a week and talk to him on the phone 2 to 3 times a week. The 14 yr old daughter is a little harder to figure,she's not shown a lot of emotion,and his wife bless her heart stays so busy with the kids and animals, she doesn't have a lot of time to her self.This last month has been very hard on the wife and my self,since I finished his head stone, I don't have a lot to do but think.3 months ago today he and I were sitting in the shade having a beer.If you would like to see the headstone I carved out its on my face book page Martin McOsker

Online Users

Guests: 10
Record Number of Users: 5 on November 28, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 265 on November 12, 2013
Poker Forums | Poker Glossary | Top Users | Terms of Service
Copyright © 2014 DrCheckRaise.com

Created by Design Magic and powered by Phorum.