Username:

Password:

Remember Me On This Computer

Create An Account!

Poker Forums: :Events Calendar: :Poker Glossary: :Live Poker Chat: :

Click on the player below to listen to the latest show. If you would like to have this weekly radio broadcast posted on your website contact me at [email protected] for the code.

Your DrCheckRaise Staff

Your Administrators

DrCheckRaise

Axman

oklajohnny45

Monmiss

Your Moderators

Monmiss - Poker Clinic

Monmiss - FaceBook Member Page

To Quit or Not to Quit that is the question

To Quit or Not to Quit that is the question
avatar Subject :  To Quit or Not to Quit that is the question
Date:       April 14, 2009 06:29PM
For ages now the above has been on my mind, such things as am i really a good player am i kidding my self thinking i'm better than i am. And i dont know sometimes i feel imune and feel i can beat anyone at anytime and that i am really a good player and its the donks that make me suck, then other days i feel deflated and i cant win even if i only played aces.

If I was a so called good player how come i keep losing and losing depositing and depositing hoping to just once make the next level up and never doing it. I have always aspired since i started poker because of my circumstances to make it an income but never happened.

My other question which really baffles me no end is when do you know when enough is enough and to call it a day your never gonna be that player you want to be.

I dont know if i just feel bad after another recent run or that i am asking this stuff because it has plagued my mind for a while but i would appreciated any insights people may have.

Lee
Re: To Quit or Not to Quit that is the question
avatar Subject :  Re: To Quit or Not to Quit that is the question
Date:       April 14, 2009 07:54PM
A break might not hurt, its like riding a bike you won't forget. You may come back refreshed and refocused.

Bad runs happen, but shouldn't last forever. I'll be brutally honest...if they do there are leaks to face.

We all tilt and get frustrated. We all tilt and lose faith in our game, blame our opponents, blame the rng, blame the poker gods and finally blame that damn universe for rotten luck.

But as a good player, you must remember, luck isn't the name of this game...good or bad.

AK or pocket aces or 23 off don't make or break a player. A player makes or breaks themselves. Sure, sometimes you can make all the right moves and lose but....9-10 if you really chew apart the hand, who was in it, how it was played, chipstacks etc, there is usually a mistake made on both ends. If I race with AA and lose early in a tournement or big stack vs bigstack on the bubble......it was me who busted myself not the cards. They don't make decisions street by street they just fall as they may.

The edges are small and this game is rough. Without confidence you definately will continue to lose. It takes guts and desire.

If you don't believe in yourself more than luck and cards, then yes, it is time to take a long break and regain that.
Date:       April 16, 2009 11:31PM
One thing that I have found is good for me is that I keep my expectations very low, be it in golf, or in poker. Golf and poker are very similar because in both games, you are usually your own worst enemy. I don't get a big head, I don't think I'm a great player, and I try to stay within my abilities. I know I'm not that good because I've seen players that are light years ahead of me, or possess certain god given talents that I could never have. I am realistic with my expectations and honest with my motivations for playing. I personally do it for enjoyment. Not for money. Not as a career. There was a time in my life when it was for money and career, and it was not very fulfilling.

My nephews were visiting last week from NY and I asked them what they wanted to be when they grew up. The first one said a teacher (because he wanted to give people assignments winking smiley ). The second said an NBA basketball player. Now i'm not one to crap on someone's dream but realistically it's probably not going to happen. Does that mean he should just quit playing? No. Why does he want to become an NBA player? Why not a successful CEO? Because he loves basketball. He'll enjoy it if it's at a sold out arena, or in his friend's backyard.

So I'll ask this again, like I always ask. Why do you play poker? Once you've answered that question honestly and completely you can move forward. The hundred mile journey starts with a single step.

DK
Date:       April 17, 2009 04:37AM
Everyone goes through bad sessions (some more then others). Everytime I sit down at a poker table i think that im the best poker player at the table (usually im not the best one) with that mindset my brain just seems to work diff...I truly believe thats the main reason why im a winning player. Because when you start doubting your self its when you stop getting value from your strong hands, bluff at the wrong time and just simply play bad poker!!! Theres a lot more to being a winning player then just having the right mind set that i wont get into but i think having the right attitude is the most important thing even when things are going bad.
Date:       April 17, 2009 12:15PM
OMG It's Yashka! You must be taking a beating at the tables if you are posting on here dude.

BTW, you might want to listen to this guy. He 's the man.
Date:       April 18, 2009 08:20PM
The hundred mile journey starts with a single step.

Click me

And that little clicky can sum up so much. Like your hole cards, AA - flop A77 - you raise - there is a re-raise, you go allin, smooth called - opponent reveals 77. And that is what happened after only playing NLH for five weeks and hitting my first ever final table. Is there a lesson here?
Date:       April 25, 2009 07:37PM
Obviously for the MONEY! But i am not yet a millionaire sooo....
i enjoy the game at times.And the thrill of bustin some peoples chops?
All the best,
D

A man's TRUE feelings come out in a poker game!
Date:       April 26, 2009 04:07PM
instead of encouragement lets talk about where the leaks are in your game. what stakes you playin? are you winning at 1 then moving up and losin? hows your bankroll management? do you play live? theres alot more to poker then just cards.
Date:       April 26, 2009 06:42PM
Hey joe

I have never moved up in limits, i have never played live (wish i could tho) and the problem is my bankroll i play at the bottom of the pile in the 25c MTT and 10cMTT these are harsh. I also play the occasional STT 1 dollar, and NLH cash games.

I start off with a bankroll i do okay but it goes up and down up and down then the inevitable crushing of my bankroll so i have to deposit again, it sucks and makes me feel like a bad player.

For example i had a br on PS 14 dollars, i was doing okay with it for ages atleast i kept the same all the time. Then lately blamm, down to 1 dollar or so, and its allways been the same.

Used to make me think online poker was rigged and worked like any other game. For example play a poker game and try to win every time u have a good hand bet u cant.
Date:       April 26, 2009 06:46PM
i meant a pc game btw not online
Date:       April 29, 2009 09:21PM
TO QUIT OR NOT TO QUIT!!
Ok so you are on a full tilt with your bankroll and lose it all. For me i lost 50 dollars a week at full tilt trying to increase my bankroll. finally i decided that it was time for a break. I havent set foot in full tilt for 3 months now (except for the OFC freeroll i registered for but didnt play in it). i have been building a bankroll by playing at SC. once you get past the bad software and get in the money more often you can start building a nice stash. I just leave it in there im building it up and when it gets large enough i will cash out and go play a major live tourneyment. I am not going to make any more deposits at full tilt or any other poker site. If i win a freeroll and get some in my accounts there then thats great ill start there and try to build it up but i wont worry if i lose it cause my bankroll in live games is getting pretty large. My SC bankroll is up to 25 bucks now and Im going to keep it there and increase it. I wont get to the WSOP this year cause i wont have my Bankroll up high enough to enter it but watch out cause next year i will be there.

My advice is if you get it in your head that your making bad plays and losing your stack. Walk away for a week or two to get your head on str8 and then come back refreshed and confident in your abilities. I really need to take a break from online poker so you wont see me for a couple weeks after the SC 30K. Going to take a little break.
Date:       April 30, 2009 01:06AM
thnx for the post mrm, i know that playing SC is inevitably the best way to cash, the only problem is the times of the tourneys its normally very late here when the decent tournies are on. And freerolls etc at FT is just crap, as is elsewhere i got really tired of getting donked on at the end of tournies and so i wanted to quit.

But because of my love for the game i cant, and i have set new goals, i wont be around on SC so much anymore but i will be grinding out low levels, seems the best way as you can play when ever u feel like it and not have to wait and hr or 2 for it to begin then when u hit the final table making one false move and being railed.

I have had a break tho and my perspective of the game is coming back slowly.

As for the FT thing, it was alot of bankrolls not just the one, as i said in my blog i learnt the hard hard way.

Anyway Thnx

Lee
Date:       April 30, 2009 02:39AM
Maybe reading my honesty can help you forget and keep going. In bankroll management section.
Date:       May 01, 2009 03:45PM
For me; I have found that becoming a great Poker player is very difficult. I am on my way to greatness though. How can I tell? Because to be excellent at anything does not mean doing something great once in a while, no my friend, excellence comes from doing the right thing with all of your intensity consistently.
-

Getting up every morning, turning on that computer and putting my 10 hours in per day every day is, for me, the path to greatness. Just like any professional, I play every day for at least 10 hours per day whether or not I am sick, tired, hungover, on top of the world, or anywhere in between. My dedication will take me to greatness. It has to happen that way, because I will except nothing less. I do not need to win the WSOP to be a great poker player. I do want to make millions playing per year though. I will probably be playing Poker until the day I die. I love the competition and winning, that is my high.
-
Everyone has a different definition of what makes them unique. Don't quit the game, take a break, do anything it takes to make your game better then hit it again. For me; I take a break every night when I die (go to sleep). I wake up a new and better poker player every morning, what ever happened (good or bad) the day before is just that; the day before. When I go to sleep I tell myself that I am becoming a great poker player, I believe that, I live that, and I will make that happen.
-
I can not control the cards, however I can control the table to a degree. I can train the other players to bet the way that I want them to bet. And most importantly I can control myself.

There is no enlightenment outside of your ownself!
Date:       May 02, 2009 04:48AM
Take a break from poker. During the break, read or reread poker books and info on sites like 2+2. Plan your strategy before going back to playing. Your bankroll is too small. Save your money until you have at least $50.00. When you go back, play PS $1.10 18 person SNGs. You can see your leaks faster, and lose less. You should place in the top 4, thus in the money 70% of the time. Your bankroll will steadily increase. When your bankroll is at $150.00, move up for 10 $3.30 games. If your in the money 50% after 10 games, stay there till your at $200.00.If not winning, drop back and repeat process.

Repeat process at next level. Don't move until you've tripled your bankroll at each level.

Stay away from the big kids until you have $1,000. In my family, very young we are taught, "scared money never wins". I think your leak is scared money. This tends to make people over or under aggressive.

I know my advice is a bit boring, but you have to decide that poker is a business. As such, it needs capital investment or what I'm reccommending, "sweat equity". There are people who are wonders, but they are rarely overnight wonders.

Kathleen
Date:       May 08, 2009 10:36PM
LoganWon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Getting up every morning, turning on that computer
> and putting my 10 hours in per day every day is,
> for me, the path to greatness. Just like any
> professional, I play every day for at least 10
> hours per day whether or not I am sick, tired,
> hungover, on top of the world, or anywhere in
> between. My dedication will take me to greatness.
> It has to happen that way, because I will except
> nothing less. I do not need to win the WSOP to be
> a great poker player. I do want to make millions
> playing per year though. I will probably be
> playing Poker until the day I die. I love the
> competition and winning, that is my high.

I too play lots of poker. Every night when i get home from work i eat dinner then sit and start my poker life. Online or Live I am playing everyday. My break is coming soon. As with any job you need to take a small vacation from it so you dont get burned out. I took a day off from poker the day after the 30k. Came back Tuesday refreshed and ready to hit the table and placed 12th in the 500 nightly. Maybe i should take a break every saturday so sunday i can come back refreshed and finally place in the money in the 5k or 30k.
Tonight im playing PokerStars WSOP freeroll 4xshootouts. And ill hit SC 500 as well and maybe even the 200. Wish me luck and ill see you all at the tables.
Date:       May 13, 2009 12:19PM
I believe it seems you have poker in your blood now! To quit would be hard thing to do. As my mother always told me: There is no such word as quit.

Take the advice of everyone above imo. Take a long break... read some more, find an awesome player to give you some great tips. Alternatively, play free rolls only and practice chip SNG's and MARK YOUR MISTAKES!

I think you have a brilliant passion for the game, never let go of your passions mate!
Date:       June 14, 2009 02:37AM
A minute to learn,A lifetime to master!
I suppose it is in your blood its there forever.Is it the rush of the win? or perhaps the feeling of connection that only those in the know can understand and share.
I am of the school that if it doesnt work fix it, personally i have rebuilt my game dozens of times over the last 13 years of playing online and live it seems that we as players must evolve as the perception of the game changes and the expectations of those playing change.
as a professional the need to understand the timing and necessity of creating income sufficient enough to be able to live a satisfying lifestyle without fear of wheres the next meal or mortgage payment coming from.

A man's TRUE feelings come out in a poker game!
Date:       July 10, 2009 06:35PM
IMO, whether I'm a good player doesn't matter nearly as much as whether I'm a winning player. They're not the same thing, although there's certainly a degree of overlap / correlation. The key point of differentiation is that winning depends on being good **relative to the competition**. So even if I'm not good compared to the total spectrum of players and skills, I can still be a winning player by being good compared to the opponents I play.
Date:       July 29, 2009 08:29AM
A great point by Arjonious. It's like the old saying goes. You might be the 10th best player in the world, but if you are sitting at a table with the top 9, you're screwed. Which is why I think the most important, underrated decision that has a direct effect on your profit (in a cash game) happens before you even sit down. TABLE SELECTION. One could write a book on just this topic alone....

Arjonius Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> IMO, whether I'm a good player doesn't matter
> nearly as much as whether I'm a winning player.
> They're not the same thing, although there's
> certainly a degree of overlap / correlation. The
> key point of differentiation is that winning
> depends on being good **relative to the
> competition**. So even if I'm not good compared
> to the total spectrum of players and skills, I can
> still be a winning player by being good compared
> to the opponents I play.

Online Users

Guests: 9
Record Number of Users: 5 on December 05, 2016
Record Number of Guests: 254 on July 05, 2016
Poker Forums | Poker Glossary | Top Users | Terms of Service
Copyright © 2017 DrCheckRaise.com

Created by Design Magic and powered by Phorum.