Username:

Password:

Remember Me On This Computer

Create An Account!

Poker Forums: :Events Calendar: :Poker Glossary: :Live Poker Chat: :

Click on the player below to listen to the latest show. If you would like to have this weekly radio broadcast posted on your website contact me at [email protected] for the code.

Your DrCheckRaise Staff

Your Administrators

DrCheckRaise

Axman

oklajohnny45

Monmiss

Your Moderators

Monmiss - Poker Clinic

Monmiss - FaceBook Member Page

2.5 BB Raises?

2.5 BB Raises?
avatar Subject :  2.5 BB Raises?
Date:       April 03, 2009 12:43AM
I'm sure there is a mathmatical reason and both Doc and DK have mentioned them. There must also be a frequency or way of chosing when. I seen alot of this from great players and I'm sure the starting hands aren't top tier.

Anyone care to eleborate?
Re: 2.5 BB Raises?
avatar Subject :  Re: 2.5 BB Raises?
Date:       April 03, 2009 01:55AM
That is actually my understanding of small ball. That if you are the first to enter the pot you can take control of the hand with this small raise just over the min raise and it slows people down or if you get re-raised you can get away from it with out wasting alot of chips. Find out where the real hand is. The continuation bet should then be just above half of the pot on the flop. (Of Course depending on number of players, position, and flop texture) My understanding is that the key to this is to play 57 suited this way as well as AA. You hope that people get sick of it and just happen to re-raise pre-flop when you have a real hand. A great way of disguising your hand, whether you have a good hand or some suited rags..... You also are keeping the pot size small enough that you can chose to lay your hand down if you get raised post flop instead of creating a pot so big pre-flop that you have priced yourself in with your bad draw because you made too big of a raise preflop... does that makes sense?
Re: 2.5 BB Raises?
avatar Subject :  Re: 2.5 BB Raises?
Date:       April 04, 2009 03:32AM
These is a mathematical reason as you mentioned too. At 2.5x raise, if you are successful 50% of the time, you will be around break even when there are antes.

The blinds are 500-1000 with a 100 ante. Total pot is 2400. You raise to 2500. It's even money practically. Against tough opponents who will call you pretty light (or donks) I would not raise this small. I usually don't like to to raise this small early in a tournament either. It's too small of an amount compared to everyone elses average stack. In later stages when the blind increases catches up with average stack sizes then the 2.5 raise is much more effective with more fold equity preflop.

This is something to keep an eye on. What is the Average Stack Size, and more importantly what is Average M. At the start of the tournament, if the starting stack is 2000 and blinds are 10-20. Avg M is over 60. But once the tournament progresses, depending on the blind structure, Avg M is going to drop. With Blinds 2000-4000 with 500 antes, Average stacks at 80K, Avg M will be around 8. Big difference. Even min raises now can people people can't barely afford to get involved.

Lately I have been taking Gus Hansen's advice and raising bigger. On average 4x BB. It's been working pretty well lately.

DK

Online Users

Guests: 38
Record Number of Users: 5 on December 05, 2016
Record Number of Guests: 254 on July 05, 2016
Poker Forums | Poker Glossary | Top Users | Terms of Service
Copyright © 2017 DrCheckRaise.com

Created by Design Magic and powered by Phorum.